- Brad Hayes, PRCL President, recently completed visits to four universities in western Canada and two in Ontario on behalf of Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources (CSUR). He spoke to the Daily Oil Bulletin about the program in this article (pdf, 130kb)
- Brad Hayes is pleased to announce that David Johnson has joined the PRCL team as an Adviser. David is a geoscientist, and comes to PRCL with more than 30 years of Global, Canadian frontier, and Western Canadian E&P experience. In positions of progressive technical and managerial responsibility David has worked for Shell, Exxon Production Research, ExxonMobil Exploration, Husky Energy, and subsequently launched a public international start-up. Dr. Johnson has business development, operations, geoscience research, and technical E&P experience covering more than 40 petroleum provinces in Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Americas; led the bid-round acquisition of more than 20 PSA's and EL's; and made significant discoveries, among others, in the Canadian Frontiers and South China Sea. David assisted the Kuwait Oil Company with their establishment of a new Research & Development Group, and subsequently was Adviser & Chief of Exploration - Business Development with KUFPEC. David received a BSc in Geology from the University of Calgary, and a PhD in Geological Oceanography from Dalhousie University. David is an Adviser with Canadian Global Exploration Forum (CGEF); a private non-profit organization that promotes Canadian International exploration and production companies.
- On Tuesday morning, May 16 at the 2017 Geoconvention (Telus Convention Center, Calgary), Kathleen Dorey is chairing a technical session with co-chair Gary Paukert entitled "International Case Studies 1". Six thought provoking industry papers by veteran as well as new speakers will be presented which include case studies from the U.S. (Wolfcamp, Utica), Nigeria, Albania and Japan and Sweden. For more information see here.
- Kathleen Dorey was mentioned in an article in the Business Standard of New Delhi: 'Oil & Gas sector bringing socio economic change: Pradhan'. The article, cited Ms Dorey as one of three eminent speakers with a view to accelerating efforts to empower women in the oil and gas sector at the Petrotech pre-conference forum in December 2016. Business Insider article.
- The VIG (Value of the Integration of Geophysics) Committee of the C.S.E.G. has asked Kathleen Dorey to publish an article for the upcoming special Recorder issue planned for September, 2017. The issue will focus on value added applications of geophysics during challenging global economic times. Ms Dorey's article will write about geophysics applications in S.E. Asia and how that could affect the economic independence of the region by discovering historic first ever hydrocarbon production.
- Groundwater characterization projects by PRCL and technical partners for Geoscience BC in the Montney play fairway of northeastern BC are highlighted in the Alaska Highway News.
- PRCL is working with Geoscience BC on the B.C. Natural Gas Atlas project, discussed in this article from the Vancouver Sun.
- Brad Hayes, representing Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources, will be the keynote speaker at "Opportunities in Mexico's Upstream Oil and Natural Gas Market", sponsored by Global Affairs Canada. Brad will speak in Monterrey and Saltillo, Mexico on March 21 and 22, discussing opportunities and technology in the Canadian upstream sector for Mexican investors, operators, and service companies.
- Petrel Robertson has engaged in a research partnership with Dr. Clayton Deutsch of the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Alberta. Dr. Deutsch and students are investigating geostatistical analysis of airborne geophysical data acquired by Sky Hunter Inc. to predict resource variables for subsurface bitumen deposits. PRCL has supplied detailed mapping and characterization of existing bitumen deposits to support the assessment.
- The Alberta Government, in conjunction with Global Affairs Canada and Export Development Canada, led a trade mission to New Delhi, India from December 4 to 10, 2016. Petrel Robertson one of eighteen companies selected to represent the oil and gas industry from Alberta. The trade mission provided opportunities for one-on-one meetings with potential joint venture partners, national oil companies, agents, and producers. The trade mission also participated in the Petrotech 2016 Conference which was an excellent platform for Alberta companies to meet with specialists and experts to discuss business opportunities within the Indian oil and gas industry. Kathleen Dorey, Managing Partner represented Petrel Robertson during the Alberta trade mission and at the Petrotech 2016 Conference and also had the opportunity meet with Canada's High Commissioner to India, Nadir Patel.
- Brad Hayes has been awarded the 2016 CSPG President's Award, the Society's top volunteer award, for Outstanding Service by a CSPG Member. Presentation of the Award will take place in May 2017.
- Central European Petroleum, an exploration company led by former PRCL President Peter Putnam and PRCL Chairman Alula Damte, have announced a significant gas and liquids discovery at Guhlen-1a in eastern Germany. PRCL has provided geoscience and technical support to CEP since its founding 10 years ago. CEP is appraising and developing the Guhlen discovery, and continues exploration work on its large landholdings in Germany.
Presentations by Brad Hayes
- October 31, 2017: Brad Hayes and Dan Allan (President, Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources) presented "Unconventional Energy - How it Changes the Game" to students and faculty at the University of Victoria, Vancouver Island University, and Simon Fraser University on October 31-November 2. This Outreach tour was sponsored by CSUR to provide accurate scientific information around unconventionals and related environmental issues such as water resources, induced seismicity and methane emissions. Followup sessions will help students to think critically around advocacy positions, and will provide honest insights around the state of the oil and gas industry and employment prospects for new graduates.
- February 7, 2017: PRCL associate Dr. Brian Zaitlin of Zaitlin Geoconsulting Ltd. and Dr. Tom Moslow will present "Variations in Paleodrainage and Depositional Style between the Underfilled and Overfilled Foreland (Deep Basin), Western Canada Sedimentary Basin," at the CSPG Technical Luncheon.
- February 15-17, 2017: Brad Hayes, representing the Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists Ambassador Program, will present "Protecting the Environment while Developing Unconventional Oil and Gas: Because it's 2017" to geoscience students at the University of Regina and the University of Manitoba.
- March 11, 2017: Astrid Arts of Cenovus Energy and Brad Hayes of PRCL will present a core workshop addressing a spectrum of plays in the Montney Formation to geoscience students at the University of Alberta, on behalf of the CSPG Ambassador Program.
- March 14, 2017: Peter Putnam (past President, PRCL) and Alula Damte (Chairman, PRCL) will present "Applied Political (geo)Science: The History, Context and Technical Basis behind Central European Petroleum's Guhlen Discovery, Brandenburg State, Eastern Germany," at the CSPG Technical Luncheon
- May 17, 2017: On behalf of the project team assembled by Geoscience BC, Brad Hayes will present "Identification and Evaluation of New Resource Oil Plays in northeastern British Columbia" at Geoconvention 2017. Co-authors include Brent Nassichuk and Raphael Wust of Trican Geological Solutions, Bob Bachman of CGG Geoconsulting, and Jason Clarke of PRCL.
Presentations by Kathleen Dorey
- May 23, 2017: APEGA has asked Kathleen Dorey to join a panel and networking event on 'Women in Engineering & Geoscience' at the Calgary APEGA office. The event will kick off with speed networking exploring early career experience, international women in the professions, and women in management and executive roles. Ms Dorey will be present to help facilitate conversations and promote sharing with respect to the Executive/Management career level. For more information and to attend see here.
- Kathleen Dorey presented a paper at the Mexico Mature Fields conference in Mexico City, February 21-22, 2017. The presentation was made in conjunction with GSP LLP, a Houston based company. The paper focused on the highly prospective oil and gas potential of the Eagle Ford and Pimienta formations of northeastern Mexico. The conference featured business and technical presentations with networking opportunities as well as meetings with Mexican operators, government agencies and services and supply companies. https://maturefieldsmexico.com/
- May 17 2017: at the 2017 CSPG Geoconvention (Telus Convention Center, Calgary), PRCL Associate Brian Zaitlin will be co-chairing a session with Tristan Euzen (IFP) entitled "The Montney Formation: New Insights on Stratigraphy and Sedimentology".
- May 18-19, 2017: PRCL associate Dr. Brian Zaitlin (Zaitlin Geoconsulting Ltd.), Dr. Tom Moslow (Moslow Geoscience Ltd) and Gemma Hildred (Chemostrat Inc) will be presenting a core display titled Variability in Spirit River (Wilrich-Falher) Reservoir Facies Associations in the Deep Basin: sequence stratigraphy, accommodation space, reservoir quality and chemostratigraphy" at the CSPG Core Conference (in conjunction with Goconvention 2017)