- Brad Hayes commented on oilsands leases for CBC and the Canadian Press: Article at the CBC
- Brad Hayes, PRCL President, commented on the Petronas decision to discontinue work on their LNG project: Article at the Daily Oil Bulletin
- Brad Hayes is pleased to announce that David Johnson has joined the PRCL team as an Adviser. David is a geoscientist, and comes to PRCL with more than 30 years of Global, Canadian frontier, and Western Canadian E&P experience. In positions of progressive technical and managerial responsibility David has worked for Shell, Exxon Production Research, ExxonMobil Exploration, Husky Energy, and subsequently launched a public international start-up. Dr. Johnson has business development, operations, geoscience research, and technical E&P experience covering more than 40 petroleum provinces in Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Americas; led the bid-round acquisition of more than 20 PSA's and EL's; and made significant discoveries, among others, in the Canadian Frontiers and South China Sea. David assisted the Kuwait Oil Company with their establishment of a new Research & Development Group, and subsequently was Adviser & Chief of Exploration - Business Development with KUFPEC. David received a BSc in Geology from the University of Calgary, and a PhD in Geological Oceanography from Dalhousie University. David is an Adviser with Canadian Global Exploration Forum (CGEF); a private non-profit organization that promotes Canadian International exploration and production companies.
- On Tuesday morning, May 16 at the 2017 Geoconvention (Telus Convention Center, Calgary), Kathleen Dorey is chairing a technical session with co-chair Gary Paukert entitled "International Case Studies 1". Six thought provoking industry papers by veteran as well as new speakers will be presented which include case studies from the U.S. (Wolfcamp, Utica), Nigeria, Albania and Japan and Sweden. For more information see here.
- Kathleen Dorey was mentioned in an article in the Business Standard of New Delhi: 'Oil & Gas sector bringing socio economic change: Pradhan'. The article, cited Ms Dorey as one of three eminent speakers with a view to accelerating efforts to empower women in the oil and gas sector at the Petrotech pre-conference forum in December 2016. Business Insider article.
- The VIG (Value of the Integration of Geophysics) Committee of the C.S.E.G. has asked Kathleen Dorey to publish an article for the upcoming special Recorder issue planned for September, 2017. The issue will focus on value added applications of geophysics during challenging global economic times. Ms Dorey's article will write about geophysics applications in S.E. Asia and how that could affect the economic independence of the region by discovering historic first ever hydrocarbon production.
- Groundwater characterization projects by PRCL and technical partners for Geoscience BC in the Montney play fairway of northeastern BC are highlighted in the Alaska Highway News.
- PRCL is working with Geoscience BC on the B.C. Natural Gas Atlas project, discussed in this article from the Vancouver Sun.
- Brad Hayes, representing Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources, will be the keynote speaker at "Opportunities in Mexico's Upstream Oil and Natural Gas Market", sponsored by Global Affairs Canada. Brad will speak in Monterrey and Saltillo, Mexico on March 21 and 22, discussing opportunities and technology in the Canadian upstream sector for Mexican investors, operators, and service companies.
- Petrel Robertson has engaged in a research partnership with Dr. Clayton Deutsch of the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Alberta. Dr. Deutsch and students are investigating geostatistical analysis of airborne geophysical data acquired by Sky Hunter Inc. to predict resource variables for subsurface bitumen deposits. PRCL has supplied detailed mapping and characterization of existing bitumen deposits to support the assessment.
- The Alberta Government, in conjunction with Global Affairs Canada and Export Development Canada, led a trade mission to New Delhi, India from December 4 to 10, 2016. Petrel Robertson one of eighteen companies selected to represent the oil and gas industry from Alberta. The trade mission provided opportunities for one-on-one meetings with potential joint venture partners, national oil companies, agents, and producers. The trade mission also participated in the Petrotech 2016 Conference which was an excellent platform for Alberta companies to meet with specialists and experts to discuss business opportunities within the Indian oil and gas industry. Kathleen Dorey, Managing Partner represented Petrel Robertson during the Alberta trade mission and at the Petrotech 2016 Conference and also had the opportunity meet with Canada's High Commissioner to India, Nadir Patel.
- Brad Hayes has been awarded the 2016 CSPG President's Award, the Society's top volunteer award, for Outstanding Service by a CSPG Member. Presentation of the Award will take place in May 2017.
- Central European Petroleum, an exploration company led by former PRCL President Peter Putnam and PRCL Chairman Alula Damte, have announced a significant gas and liquids discovery at Guhlen-1a in eastern Germany. PRCL has provided geoscience and technical support to CEP since its founding 10 years ago. CEP is appraising and developing the Guhlen discovery, and continues exploration work on its large landholdings in Germany.
- Kathleen Dorey has been invited to speak at the forth coming Petrotech conference in New Delhi, India on Sunday, 4th Dec 2016. The session is called "Women Leaders in Oil & Gas - The Emerging Trends". PETROTECH - 2016 is India's flagship International Oil & Gas Conference and Exhibition under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Govt. of India and is one of the most prestigious international conferences with more than 5000 delegates from nearly 50+ countries participating. The Hon'ble Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi will also be on hand to inaugurate this year's conference.
- Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources (CSUR) hosts Duvernay Day. This one day technical workshop will focus on the emerging Duvernay Resource Play in west central Alberta. Hear from recognized experts in Government, Academia, and the Operators themselves. Key discussion themes will cover water management, sub-surface development planning and induced seismicity. Duvernay Day takes place at the Eau Claire Sheraton on Wednesday October 26. See the CSUR website for more details, or contact Cynthia Lamont.
- Petrel Robertson Consulting Ltd. of Calgary, in coordination with Global Shale Plays LLC. (GSP) of Houston, will be conducting a detailed geoscience study of the Eagle Ford formation and other oil and gas bearing formations in Northern Mexico across from the border from South Texas. The group has been authorized by the Comisión Nacional de Hidrocarburos (CNH), a Mexican government office, to develop and market the project to industry and other interested parties. The proposed area covers about 16,100 km2 and falls within the northern extent of the Burgos Basin, continuing up to the Piedras Negras area. The study will utilize existing 2D and 3D seismic, advanced pre-stack inversion techniques, wells, core data, as well as existing airborne-gravity, magnetic, and electro-magnetic data, as available, to map, assess and high grade areas of potential hydrocarbon accumulations. For further information on how to participate in the study contact: Kathleen Dorey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Brad Hayes (email@example.com)
- Brad Hayes will be one of the Head Table Experts at Canadian Society of Unconventional Resources Executive Roundtable: The Employment Crisis for Canada's Energy Professionals - October 6 at the Calgary Telus Convention Centre. Free registration for Professionals in Transition. Registration here
- PRCL client US Oil Sands is nearing completion on their new oilsands project in Utah. PRCL played a key role in defining and mapping the oilsands reserves that USOS is developing. See the story at JWN Energy
- CSUR (Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources) is hosting an information session regarding regulations around methane emissions. Click here for details
- Brad Hayes addressed the Canada-Eurasia Russia Business Association (CERBA) in Calgary on June 6th, speaking on using Canadian geoscience skills to evaluate international oil and gas assets for investors. link to presentation(4MB PDF)
- Brad Hayes comments on the potential for oil discoveries in NEBC in this Business in Vancouver article
- Bill Whitelaw, President and CEO at JuneWarren-Nickle's Energy Group, and a Director of the Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources, shares his insights on key energy-related issues of the day.
Fracking and Earthquakes
- Petrel Robertson Consulting Ltd. (PRCL) and Quaternary Geosciences Inc.(QGI) have completed a geological characterization of Quaternary and other nearsurface formations in the Peace Project area. Building on existing geological mapping and hydrogeological reports, the investigations used cased-hole gamma logs run through surface casing in petroleum boreholes to map depth to bedrock (and hence thickness of Quaternary cover), and the distribution of aquifer sands in the Quaternary section. This was done in support of Geoscience BC Report 2016-03, mapping groundwater resources using airborne geophysics.
The PRCL/QGI portion of the project is available for download on the Geoscience BC website (Geoscience BC Report 2016-04).
- Brad Hayes addressed the Canadian Institute 16th Annual Arctic Oil & Gas Symposium, speaking on the importance of geological work to better understand unconventional oil and gas potential in northern Canada. Read the Article (PDF)
- PRCL has teamed with Dr. Nick Harris (University of Alberta) and Dr. Graham Dolby (consulting biostratigrapher) in evaluating Cretaceous Lower Goru sandstone reservoirs in the Indus Basin of Pakistan. The team, led by Dr. John Carey of PRCL, is working with Pakistan Petroleum Ltd. to better understand reservoir quality and distribution in this emerging gas/condensate system.
- On March 8, at the 2016 Geoconvention(Telus Convention Center, Calgary), Kathleen Dorey is chairing two sessions with co-chair Brian Zaitlin entitled "Technology for Unconventional Resources". Twelve high level industry papers being presented in both morning and afternoon sessions. The focus will be on new and evolving technology as applied to Unconventional Resources worldwide.www.geoconvention.com
- Brad Hayes commented in an article at Business In Vancouver on the New Brattle Group report which says increased investment in renewable energy in Asia and Europe could reduce financial support for LNG projects. Business In Vancouver article
All News Items
- May 17, 2017: On behalf of the project team assembled by Geoscience BC, Brad Hayes will present "Identification and Evaluation of New Resource Oil Plays in northeastern British Columbia" at Geoconvention 2017. Co-authors include Brent Nassichuk and Raphael Wust of Trican Geological Solutions, Bob Bachman of CGG Geoconsulting, and Jason Clarke of PRCL.
- May 17 2017: at the 2017 CSPG Geoconvention (Telus Convention Center, Calgary), PRCL Associate Brian Zaitlin will be co-chairing a session with Tristan Euzen (IFP) entitled "The Montney Formation: New Insights on Stratigraphy and Sedimentology".
- May 18-19, 2017: PRCL associate Dr. Brian Zaitlin (Zaitlin Geoconsulting Ltd.), Dr. Tom Moslow (Moslow Geoscience Ltd) and Gemma Hildred (Chemostrat Inc) will be presenting a core display titled Variability in Spirit River (Wilrich-Falher) Reservoir Facies Associations in the Deep Basin: sequence stratigraphy, accommodation space, reservoir quality and chemostratigraphy" at the CSPG Core Conference (in conjunction with Goconvention 2017)
- May 23, 2017: APEGA has asked Kathleen Dorey to join a panel and networking event on 'Women in Engineering & Geoscience' at the Calgary APEGA office. The event will kick off with speed networking exploring early career experience, international women in the professions, and women in management and executive roles. Ms Dorey will be present to help facilitate conversations and promote sharing with respect to the Executive/Management career level. For more information and to attend see here.
Details on all presentations and presentation downloads